/etc/paths

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Sat Feb 7 01:01:54 PST 2015

>> (1) We consider /etc/paths to be a "system file". We don't like modifying system files.
>> (2) Modifying /etc/paths affects all users' settings, which is undesirable.
>
> Actually it is desirable, or it has at least been desired by some users, e.g.:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/36323

Note that it was suggested in this discussion you linked to add files in /etc/paths.d but that would not do what many users want because the paths listed in  /etc/paths are put first in PATH and then those from  /etc/paths.d are appended. Since  /etc/paths lists /bin, /user/bin, etc by default, Macports paths would not override system ones. I like it the other way around and I am not the only one I think.

I am happy to see that my initial noise led to informative a discussion after all ;-)

And then there the orthogonal issue of Apps launched from the Finder which get PATH from launchd and for which neither path_helper nor shell startup files help. Once upon a time, I hacked a solution with a daemon watching .bashrc and friends to keep the PATH of the shell and that of launchd in synch but eventually I gave up and just launched the PATH-sensitive Apps with "open" from the Terminal.