A question about Localhost with Safari

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 3 16:45:15 PST 2015

On Jan 3, 2015, at 3:41 PM, William H. Magill wrote:

> Did Apple change something in Yosemite/Safari so that "localhost" is no longer an accessible DNS address for Safari?
>
> I have no trouble ssh-ing to localhost on my system, but Safari always responds  "Can't connect to the Server."
>
> Note that at one time I was using Apple's Apache via OSX Server, but have since replaced that with MacPorts.
> And, I have no idea if  "localhost" worked after I upgraded to Yosemite and OSX Server ceased operation.

I experience the problem on Yosemite that "localhost" will randomly switch between accessing the IPv4 address of my server (which works) and the IPv6 address of my server (which apparently isn't working). I've had to start using "127.0.0.1" instead, which is the IPv4 address. This does not appear to be specific to Safari; I saw it in the terminal with curl too.