A question about Localhost with Safari

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 17:14:38 PST 2015

On Sunday January 04 2015 16:51:42 Justin C. Walker wrote:

> > (It is *not*, however, in /Hosts.)
>
> Do you mean that "localhost" is not mentioned in /etc/hosts?  I can't verify that one way or another since my 10.10 system is an upgrade from several versions back.

My 10.9.5 is an upgrade from 10.6 which in turn was a clean install AFAIK, but I'm pretty sure my /etc/hosts was copied from the disk that survived the death of my 10.4.11 Powerbook G4.

#> dscl . read /Computers/localhost
AppleMetaNodeLocation: /Local/Default
IPAddress: 127.0.0.1
IPv6Address: ::1 fe80::1%lo0
KerberosServices: host afpserver cifs vnc
RecordName: localhost
RecordType: dsRecTypeStandard:Computers

Yet:
#> head /etc/hosts
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##

127.0.0.1       localhost Portia
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
# RJVB 20061015: what??
#::1             localhost6

Justin, exactly what issue do you have with Safari and localhost? I can connect just fine to localhost:631, don't think I have other services running that would make sense to a browser...

R.