port:imap-uw and mailbox corruption on 10.9.5?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Jan 12 10:06:31 PST 2015

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> IIRC uw-imapd went from keeping the mailbox locked (low/no corruption,
> but clients error out a lot because they reasonably expect concurrent
> access) to locking only when "necessary" (gets it wrong a lot, partly
> due to concurrent delivery by MTAs, high corruption), as email volume
> increased from the fairly low levels when it was first written. In
> either mode it's a pretty lousy server even for single user use. BITD it
> was acceptable, but email is much higher volume these days and there are
> much more appropriate IMAP servers.

As one who has struggled with UW-IMAPD for a while now, can you recommend
any in particular?

My situation is mail being stored on my FreeBSD server (accepted with
Sendmail), and read there with Alpine; I SSH into it from the MacBook.

I'd like to set up tasks on the Mac to email myself on the FreeBSD box (I
loathe gooey MUAs with a passion), but the moment I start iMail (or
whatever it's called), it pulls the rug out from underneath Alpine.  I
merely want to send mail from the Mac, not read it there.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)