CarbonHeaders obsolete: uninstall dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 15:29:33 PST 2015

On Jan 19, 2015, at 4:30 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:

> MacPorts base version 2.3.3 on OS X 10.7
> When executing
>  sudo port upgrade outdated
> I get the following message :
>  Error: CarbonHeaders is an obsolete port.  Please uninstall it
> When executing
>  sudo port uninstall CarbonHeaders
> I get the following message :
>  Error: org.macports.uninstall for port CarbonHeaders returned:
>  Please uninstall the ports that depend on CarbonHeaders first
> and (in part)
>  --->  Unable to uninstall CarbonHeaders @18.1_2, the following
>  ports depend on it:
>  --->  	libunwind-headers @35.3_0
>
> Since I have only entry - level knowledge of macports, and I don't
> wish to do "damage" I'm must ask :
>
> Is this just a matter of running
>  sudo port libunwind-headers ?
> and then
>  sudo port uninstall CarbonHeaders ?

libunwind-headers used to require CarbonHeaders. It no longer does, and CarbonHeaders are now obsolete and should be uninstalled. You can either uninstall libunwind-headers, and they will be reinstalled later if needed, or you can upgrade libunwind-headers to the version that doesn't need CarbonHeaders. Then you can uninstall CarbonHeaders.