/opt/local/macports/software

Akim Demaille akim.demaille at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 08:53:19 PST 2015

> Le 20 janv. 2015 à 13:20, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> If you have a system with
>> say a SSD 128 GB drive, I do not think it is then unreasonable for that
>> user to ask why they have to lug around GBs of archives which, unless
>> you regular use the activate/deactivate feature (and I still suspect the
>> majority of users do not) is of rather limited benefit.
>
> It has already been pointed out that you can set up MP to put all of that on external storage, even a JetDrive or MiniDrive. The whole tree in which the software directory resides (var/macports) is used only be the port command, so as long as you don't use that you don't need to have var/macports online.

Right.  But that means that you have to have that drive at hand.
The machine I'm using belongs to my company, and I'm traveling.
Sometimes I'm far from my place, yet I want to upgrade.  And
I don't want to have to carry an additional external drive.

So I agree it mitigates the problem, but it certainly does not
address it.