GCC and kernel.osversion

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Jul 18 17:30:10 PDT 2015

OS/X 10.10.4

Installed GCC 4.2.1 because I find CLANG is far too fussy and badly
documented, and I get this:

ozzie:ssem dave$ make
cc -g ssem.c -o ssem
couldn't understand kern.osversion `14.4.0'
ssem.c: In function ‘main’:
ssem.c:66: warning: return type of ‘main’ is not ‘int’

Ignore the warning, as I insist that main() calls exit() instead of merely
returning; I'm old-school.

ozzie:ssem dave$ sysctl kern.osversion
kern.osversion: 14E46

I can sort of see a connection there, but what is the real problem?  The
program runs just fine, once I figured out: a) how to enable coredumps,
and b) where it puts them...

As an aside, I thought that Linux was bad enough in trying to distance
itself from Unix, but Apple really takes the Tim-Tam; who would've guessed
that GCC would be installed under /Developer?

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer"
   "The complexity for minimum component costs has increased at a rate of