[MacPorts] #47755: Broken symlink left by select code when selected port is deactivated causes poppler and other ports using aclocal to fail during configuration.

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 15:46:32 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Christopher Ramos <
chrisdavidramos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hm, well I understand your point and, while valid, it's not relevant to my
> point. For one, I'm not referring to the problem with a user downloading
> malicious code or code that does something the user doesn't understand.
> Macports, like the Mac App Store, is *curated*; it's not the same thing as
> going to some fly-by-night website, downloading, and installing willy nilly.
>
> A better analogy would be Mozilla hosting a FF add-on that, by proxy,
> interferes with the functionality of other add-ons.

So your argument is that Apple should have warnings plastered over their
Xcode download that it would enable you to break their system by building
conflicting software? (Which is absolutely true.)

In any case, MacPorts is not the Mac App Store, and it was created in large
part specifically to *enable* building software by providing development
tools that Apple does not, including recent versions of git etc. Likewise
for HomeBrew. Built-in nannies are not desired, nor welcome; we're trying
to *get away* from Apple's nannies.