Possible corrupt PortIndex file for rsync...

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Sat Mar 21 07:59:32 PDT 2015

On 21.03.2015 01:04 AM, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
> Sorry, I hate sounding like I'm answering my own questions, but I did
> a selfupdate and I think that fixed the PortIndex issue...?

Both selfupdate and sync will refresh the PortIndex by downloading the
one generated on the MacPorts server, yes.

I don't know what happened there, but if it was a one-time corruption,
or even no corruption per se at all and it's fixed now, you're good.

If, and only if, you still see this problem rise up and have no other
way of fixing it (for instance by finding out what causes the corruption
in your network or between rsync.macports.org and your machine or ...)
you can forcefully regenerate the index. Note that this will take a
pretty long time, which stands in no comparison to the simple fetching
"port sync/selfupdate" do:

sudo bash -c 'cd "$(dirname $(port file bashdb))/../../" &&
/opt/local/bin/portindex -f .'

(Assuming a default installation of ${prefix} = /opt/local)

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster at gmail.com
<mailto:oraclmaster at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Let me clarify a bit...I don't know if this possible corruption issue
> is in any way connected to the fact I can't install a certain port. I
> was trying to install bashdb 4.2 to complement my bash 4.3 install
> from macports and there was an error in configuring the port...which
> when consulting the log for the configuration, revealed a warning that
> I was using bash 4.3...so there is possibly a version mismatch between
> bashdb 4.2 and bash 4.3...

Well, bashdb really is at 4.2, while bash is at 4.3:

root at nopileos/opt/macports-gitsvn# port info bashdb
bashdb @4.2-0.8 (devel)
[...]
root at nopileos/opt/macports-gitsvn# port info bash
bash @4.3.33 (shells)
[...]

This is a known issue, see: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43590

Judging by that ticket, let's be diplomatic and say that the maintainer
has too much other stuff to do.

Mihai