libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun May 24 20:14:31 PDT 2015

On May 24, 2015, at 10:52 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> ...I assumed it was also about performance. If we object to changes
> IJG is making to jpeg, we can also just stop updating jpeg past 9, or
> we can downgrade it to 8.

I suppose I should have said that *my* interest in this discussion is
about maintenance and not performance. But better performance would
definitely be a plus.

And from a maintenance perspective, libjpeg-turbo looks like a clear
win.

- libjpeg-turbo upstream seems to care about maintaining compatibility
  while making meaningful improvements.
- libjpeg upstream seems to be willing to break compatibility
  frequently, for the sake of making changes of questionable utility.

The former could get us better performance and improved stability. To
ensure that stability with the latter, we'd have to freeze it at an old
version forever.

vq