Problems with kdepim4

Fernando Rodriguez frodriguez.developer at outlook.com
Sun May 24 20:15:43 PDT 2015

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 06:46:27 PM Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On May 24, 2015, at 3:10 PM, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
> You should not use more than one package manager on a single computer. I'm
> not aware of Gentoo Prefix, but if that is another package manager, then
> you should use either that, or MacPorts, and uninstall the other one.

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Prefix is Gentoo's package manager installed as a
secondary package manager. On Linux it's the ultimate package manage IMO, but
it sucks on OSX. The only thing keeping from uninstalling it right now is it's
crossdev tool (for cross-compiling gcc and libraries) and that it allows me to
compile and switch between any version of gcc. For now I removed it from my
path (I had done that on my own, they recommend against it) so it should not
interfere with anything.

> While building, MacPorts sets its own environment, including PATH, ignoring
> most environment variables you've set in your shell, so the intention is
> that there should not be any conflicts with other installed software,
> however experience has led us to recommend a more cautious approach.
>
> Single-letter flags like R, v, f, s, should not take any effect unless you
> use them immediately after the word "port". So, for example "sudo port -v
> upgrade something" will print verbose output, while "sudo port upgrade -v
> something" will do nothing other than what "sudo port upgrade something"
> would do.
>
> So assuming you actually used "sudo port -Rvfs upgrade dbus", then that
> would explain it. Using the "-f" flag is usually very bad and you should
> not do it except in very limited circumstances. When you force ("-f") an
> upgrade, I believe what that means is to rebuild all dependencies also,
> each time they're encountered, which could indeed be multiple times. This
> is clearly not what anyone wants, so the "-f" flag should never be used
> with "upgrade".

Yes, that is what I did. I'm starting to get the hang of it. I was assuming it
calculates the dep tree once before building but it looks like it does it
individually for each package.

> As to what the correct procedure would be to accomplish rebuilding a port's
> dependencies and dependents, I don't know; I don't think I've ever thought
> such a procedure to be needed.

Well I knew something was wrong with dbus because akonadi was throwing dbus
errors. It turned to be something else but the only way I could rule out
something having gone wrong during the build  (due to my PATH) was to rebuild
everything.

Thanks,
Fernan