Opening X applications from terminal.app

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Wed May 27 19:39:11 PDT 2015

> Em 27/05/2015, à(s) 18:42, Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer at outlook.com> escreveu:
>
> On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 05:33:56 PM Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>> Now, if I go into the X11 Menu, then open an Xterm from it, then from the
>> Xterm I try the same, I get:
>>
>>   ~]$ xmgrace
>>
>>   Oops! Got SIGSYS
>>
>>   Please use "Help/Comments" to report the bug.
>>   Abort trap: 6
>>
>> And the application opens for only a couple of seconds then closes again.
>>
>> Can someone help me solve this issue? Some more data:
>
> See if this help with me xmgrace issue: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/45582
> (comment 3).

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, that solved the issue of opening xmgrace from within an xterm for me. Thanks!

However, the auto-start problem is still there…

> My X server from macports was also not auto-starting, I fixed by installing the
> XQuartz pkg (through the link on the utilities folder). I reinstalled xorg-
> server afterwards and it still starts.

Just to clarify: did you need to install *both* (XQuartz *and* XOrg) to have at least one of them auto-start?

> I'd like to know how to switch between
> them... They seem to be the same version but I'm pretty sure the one from
> macports is auto-starting cause I can open another instance of the one in
> /Applications/Utilities but not through startx.

That would be nice to know as well. But for now, I’m sticking to XQuartz alone, because that *would* seem simpler…

Thanks a lot!
Gustavo.