openssl vs. libressl

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Nov 10 07:44:52 PST 2015

On 2015-11-10 15:21, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> We could have a port “mp-ssl-lib” that defaults to depending on one
> of the ssl libs (say openssl). It could also be installed as
> mp-ssl-lib +libressl which would modify it’s dependencies and install
> libressl and not openssl.
>
> Other ports would all depend on ‘mp-ssl-lib’ and not directly only
> openssl or libressl.
>
> It’s not a perfect solution, but may be nicer than adding
> +openssl/+libressl to every possible port.

This would basically cause the same problems as with the current path:
dependency.

It is still required to rev-upgrade all ports after switching the
variant. All binary archives built with the default option would not
work on a system with a different variant choice on mp-ssl-lib.

Explicit variants in all ports are the only way to prevent that, as the
port contents will actually be different depending on whether you link
against openssl or libressl.

Rainer