opendkim and Trac error

Terry Barnum terrydop at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 14:39:07 PST 2015

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 1:10 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
>
> On Nov 10, 2015, at 1:47 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is nothing in the port to create a launchd plist. The documentation suggests to me that there is no daemon involved, even; it is (a) a library for use by clients, and (b) a "milter" (mail filter plugin) for a mail daemon, which would be configured in whatever MTA you have configured (sendmail, postfix, etc.).
>
> There probably should be one, but you have to do some setup to dkim sign your mail before you can realistically run it (and IIRC you need to pass arguments to the daemon that depend on how you’ve set up your signing).

I agree. I see mentions of starting the opendkim daemon on the archlinux page Brandon linked to earlier and also on other Linux sites. I've done the configuration, made sure port 8891 is open but postfix says "connection refused." There's no response to a port scan on 8891. opendkim is not running?

A little later...

I ran sudo /opt/local/sbin/opendkim -x /opt/local/etc/opendkim/opendkim.conf and now there's something listening on 8891. Reloaded postfix and it appears to be correctly signing email.

So it appears that there does need to a LaunchDaemon to startup the opendkim daemon.

-Terry

>> Daniel J. Luke
> +========================================================+
> | *---------------- dluke at geeklair.net ----------------* |
> |   Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily   |
> |          reflect the opinions of my employer.          |

Terry Barnum
digital OutPost
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.dop.com