Wine Issue

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Mon Nov 23 08:48:18 PST 2015

> On Nov 22, 2015, at 7:12 PM, Mark Hart <professormrh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm currently using wine-devel @1.8-rc1_0 on my mid 2015 MBP running 10.11.1.  I like to run Notepad ++, WinVice, Windows Notepad, and a few other applications under Wine.  Up until recently they have worked perfectly.  Now, when running any of these, if I switch to an OS X application and then switch back, they get the spinning ball of death and I have to force quit out of Wine.
>
> Example:  I'm writing some code in Notepad ++, I switch to an OS X application, copy some text, and then switch back to Notepad ++ all I get is the spinning ball of death.
>
> I have deleted my drive_c folder and allowed Wine to recreate it and then install a fresh copy of my Windows apps to see if that solves the issue.  No change.
>
> I would estimate that this has occurred for the last few development Wine builds.  However, I'm not sure if it is a Wine issue or a MacPorts issue.
>
> Has anyone here encountered this problem?
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> I apologize in advance if this isn't the place to post this.
>
> Thank you,
> Mark

1- Support for WINE is primarily based on the specific Application.
See:  https://www.winehq.org/help/

2- I don’t have see that problem with WINE as I don’t use it that often anymore, however, I see it constantly with OSX application to OSX Application in El Capitan.

Just today, I had Mail crash to the desktop while trying to address a message using a 15 person Contacts list.

I get the spinning-beachball effect CONSTANTLY now with El-Capitan with standard OSX apps as well as others.
To me it appears that it has to do with Apple’s memory management and its attempts to integrate OSX with iCloud.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.11
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.11

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com