Darwin Version

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Fri Oct 9 07:26:07 PDT 2015

> On Oct 9, 2015, at 7:31 AM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 2015-10-04 12:25, William H. Magill wrote:
>> As with the “success” above, the answer appears to be with the
>> Migration Instructions. The problem is that the visual queues given
>> by the “command indent and boxing” are much more emphatic than the
>> numbered items. i.e. the Eye overrides RTFM.
>
> Thank you for your input. I tried to improve the Migration wiki page.
>
> Please check again:
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

I think that visually, the page is cleaner now.
Changing the indenting makes a big difference.

>> Step one needs to be — download and install the version of MacPorts
>> appropriate to the new release found at the top of  the QuickStart
>> page, NOT “port -qv”!
>>
>> Or put another way, the instructions on the QuickStart page and the
>> Migration page need to be better integrated. Step 2 in the Migration
>> Procedure is the key.
>>
>> Maybe wording like:
>>
>> "Reinstall MacPorts base. After updating the development tools,
>> install the base MacPorts system  for your new platform, either from
>> the appropriate installer (download it from the QuickStart section)
>> or from source.”
>
> Users going to the Migration page should already be familiar with
> MacPorts itself as they used it on the previous release of OS X.
> I don't think they need the QuickStart anymore.

This is one of those yes and no answers.  Example.
I have not needed to visit the MacPorts WIKI since the migration to
Yosemite — I forgot. The link simply did not jump out at me.

> Similarly, the numbering of the Migration Guide is somewhat
>> confusing.
>>
>> 2.a should probably be moved to 3.a and the rest of 3 renumbered
>> accordingly.
>
> I don't understand that. 2a was the macports.conf update, which is
> closer to updating MacPorts base than reinstalling ports. I left this at
> step 2.

I was just trying to adjust the numbering scheme, but your solution is
cleaner.

> Rainer

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.11
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.11

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com