Darwin Version

Bachsau web at bachsau.name
Thu Oct 15 14:34:25 PDT 2015

> Am 02.10.2015 um 16:33 schrieb Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>:
>
> We're trying to make MacPorts into a system that just works, and that means that when we discover common situations where MacPorts fails to work, we try to modify MacPorts so that users are less likely to encounter them. One of the common problems we discovered was when MacPorts is built on one version of OS X and used on another version of OS X. So now we prevent that, via the error message that caused you to begin this thread.

I just want to share my experience with updating MacPorts today. The migration page describes that one should install the new base by the using the PKGs and AFTER that get list of all installed ports to reinstall them. That led me to the conclusion, that updating the base would not result in the package database being wiped. So I did just that and ran "port upgrade outdated" afterwards, which completed successfully. After all the discussion on this thread I understand why the migration steps are described as they are and what problems might arise from upgrading that way. However, for me and for this particular update, it worked very well. It still rebuild most of the packages though.