openssl - could not find the C header files

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 18 00:35:37 PDT 2015

On Oct 17, 2015, at 6:00 PM, Frank Röhm wrote:

> Yes there still seems to be openssl in 10.11, but old version, OpenSSL 0.9.8zg 14 July 2015 find I in /usr/bin/openssl
> I renamed it to …OLD and linked the macports openssl to this path.
>
> MacBook:tor-0.2.7.3-rc f$ ls -al /usr/bin/openssl
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 22 18. Okt 00:24 /usr/bin/openssl -> /opt/local/bin/openssl*

Definitely don't do that. You're not supposed to change things in /usr (except for things in /usr/local). You're not even supposed to be able to do so on 10.11, unless you disabled system integrity protection, which you should not do. Please put /usr/bin/openssl (and anything else in /usr that you changed) back the way it was. Find another way to inform the program that you're building where it should look for openssl.