slow distfiles mirror

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Aug 8 11:34:41 PDT 2016

On Aug 8, 2016, at 2:30 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> If you have suggestions for improving the mirror selection mechanism we can certainly discuss it.

If there is brokenness that we can define, I'm happy to try to come up with solutions.

> Using ping time has always seemed indirect and possibly inaccurate to me,

Yes, but I'm not aware of any reason for that (you haven't been able to articulate an actual problem that I've seen, but still imply that there is one there).

> Years ago I brought up possibly using geolocation,

IP geolocation isn't very reliable (even if you pay for the 'good' data).

> but even if we had the servers' locations and the user's location, there's no guarantee that geographic proximity equals faster network speed.

yes, so even if you have good geolocation data, it's not as helpful as it seems (you really want network latency data to optimize for larger tcp flows).

--
Daniel J. Luke