Questions for installing openmpi on Os X 10.9.5

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 25 17:58:06 PST 2016

On Feb 25, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Eric A. Borisch wrote:

> This isn't quite "normal" -- at least not anymore (thanks to binary packages.)
>
> At the top of the log you posted, you will note that it warned you (now that you have updated the macports software to the new base version) to:
>
>    Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider updating them by running 'port selfupdate'.
>
> If that had been done, you would have been trying to grab newer versions of packages  (like gcc48, and llvm35, and perl, etc.) from packages.macports.org, which would have succeeded for many of them. (The port tree you had looks like it is late 2014 / early 2015 vintage based on the gcc48 version. (I'm not sure why it didn't update the port tree after it updated your binaries, perhaps others can comment on that -- it would certainly seem like that would be "the right thing to do.")
>
> Instead, you (successfully, which is a good sign) downloaded and locally compiled all of the dependencies for OpenMPI, which includes llvm and gcc compilations, which do take a very long time, indeed. So you got much more for your time than just the OpenMPI wrappers and libraries. ;)
>
> So. Good news and bad news. Run a 'sudo port selfupdate' (like the tool suggested) and then 'sudo port upgrade outdated'. Unfortunately many of the ports that were installed will have new versions. Luckily, most of them should download pre-compiled binaries now rather than locally compile.

If you run selfupdate, and MacPorts base is updated to a new version (which is what happened here: 2.3.1 was updated to 2.3.4), then the ports don't get properly updated, because it's possible that the updated ports would be using new features introduced in the new version of MacPorts to which you just updated, and would therefore fail to be parsed properly with the old still-running version of MacPorts. This used to happen with old versions of MacPorts, which is why in the current version, it doesn't try to update the ports anymore after a successful selfupdate to a new version, and instead quits after prints a message advising the user to run selfupdate a second time.

All the binaries that can exist for Mountain Lion and later are on the packages server now (I've been re-running builds of all ports over the past few days to catch any packages that were missed before), so if you selfupdate now, you should get binary packages in most cases.