question about OpenSCAD 2015.03 on Snow Leopard, and a home-built libc++ package installer

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 28 20:07:32 PDT 2016

On Jul 28, 2016, at 9:11 PM, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> Although the developers of OpenSCAD had to leave Snow Leopard behind a couple of version ago, using Macports and the extended abilities that Jeremy has enabled for older systems, I have been able to compile a version of the latest release of OpenSCAD 2015.03 that runs well on 10.6.8, with some modest surgery on the build process along the way to get over humps.
>
> I think this is a great tribute to the work put into this effort by Jeremy and others.
>
> To make it a simple thing to install, I made a package installer for libc++ and libc++abi to use on SL, and bundled all the macports-compiled dylibs into the app bundle.
>
> You can have a look at it here if you like; the libc++ package installer is included:
>
> OpenSCAD 2015.03 for MacOSX 10.6.8
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4PhjGt59mV1RFN0OEZSbHZPTU0
>
> ======
> Questions --
>
> 1. Are there any issues with releasing this to the OpenSCAD community?
>
> 2. Any issues/ concerns / suggestions with the libc++ / libc++ABI package installer that anyone doesn't like? Right now, the package installer is supposed to only run on SL, and will overwrite an existing libc++ and libc++ABI library if there is one (but there's only one version, at the moment, so that would not seem to be a big issue).

Your installer exits without doing anything if the OS is not 10.6, so that's good. No danger of messing up later systems.

The app on the disk image already contains a number of libraries, like boost, in the Contents/Frameworks directory. Could you put libc++ and libc++abi in there too, thus making an installer that modifies the OS unnecessary?

The libcxx port in MacPorts also modifies the OS, so there is precedent for that, even if it feels messy to me.