port reclaim use

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Wed May 18 16:18:04 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 08:21:09PM -0700, list_email at icloud.com wrote:
> I hate giant blobs on my hard disk that don't do anything, so I'm
> wondering if
>
> port reclaim
>
> is a safe and effective way of reducing the 13.7 GB size of my
> MacPorts installation.

As far as I know port reclaim is only in development versions of
MacPorts at the moment and has not found its way into a released version
yet. This of course means that you might have to expect the occasional
bug or two, but overall I think the reclaim code is pretty well tested
by now.

Reclaim does two things: First, it does the equivalent of uninstall
inactive, and then it locates all source code files that are no longer
used by any of your installed ports and offers to delete them. I don't
use the first part of the functionality (because I usually do uninstall
inactive manually), but I can vouch that the second part works well in
current trunk.

Additionally, may I suggest port_cutleaves (available in the equally
named port) to save more disk space on things you no longer need?

--
Clemens