Quartz vs x11: Inaccessible package meld

Peter Brommer p.brommer at warwick.ac.uk
Mon May 23 08:15:45 PDT 2016

Hi,

somehow the quartz vs x11 has flared up on the list again, and I now have my own problem to add. I’m running mostly quartz packages (mainly inkscape, gimp…). This means I have gtk2 +quartz as the active installation:

$ port installed gtk2
  gtk2 @2.24.30_0+quartz (active)
  gtk2 @2.24.30_0+x11

Activating the +x11 variant causes a LOT of broken dependencies, that cannot be resolved automatically, as e.g. gtk-osx-application-gtk2 depends on gtk2 +quartz:

--->  Configuring gtk-osx-application-gtk2
Error:
gtk-osx-application-gtk2 is meant to be used only in a GTK quartz
development environment but your version of GTK does not
support quartz.  Please make sure that port gtk2 and all its
dependencies are built with variants +quartz and try again.
Error: org.macports.configure for port gtk-osx-application-gtk2 returned: gtk2 +quartz not installed.

However, I’ve recently found that I now cannot install meld, as meld somehow depends on gtksourceview for which gtk2 needs to be installed in the +quartz variant:
$ sudo port install meld
--->  Computing dependencies for meld
--->  Dependencies to be installed: py27-pygtksourceview gtksourceview2 yelp gnome-getting-started-docs gnome-user-docs webkit2-gtk geoclue2 json-glib libsoup glib-networking gsettings-desktop-schemas libproxy gstreamer1 gstreamer1-gst-plugins-bad chromaprint fluidsynth jack db60 libsamplerate portaudio gstreamer1-gst-plugins-base libdca libdvdnav libdvdread libdvdcss libmms libmpcdec mpg123 neon openal-soft pulseaudio json-c rtmpdump soundtouch spandsp-devel x265 gstreamer1-gst-plugins-good libdv libshout2 taglib hyphen libnotify libsecret libgcrypt libgpg-error yelp-xsl
--->  Fetching archive for gtksourceview2
Error: org.macports.archivefetch for port gtksourceview2 returned: gtk2 must be installed with +x11.
Error: Failed to install gtksourceview2
…

Now: is there a workaround for this? Can I get meld installed somehow? Or do I have to resign to the fact that unless I move everything back to x11, I won’t be able to install meld?

Thank you

Peter