trouble building mtr 0.87 on snow leopard. portfile patched?

Peter Hancock hancock at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 28 03:03:27 PDT 2016

On a snow leopard machine, mtr won't upgrade from 0.86 to 0.87.
The trouble, according to the log, is that IPPROTO_SCTP isn't defined.   The failing compile is:

:info:build /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I.   -I/opt/local/include  -pipe -Os -arch i386 -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -MT net.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/net.Tpo -c -o net.o net.c

This is after several "sudo port clean mtr "s.
I'd no problems with upgrading mtr on a 2012 mini running yosemite.

I looked at the trac.macports.org, and the last 154082 changeset gives some diffs to the
portfile.  Quite possibly I'm not looking at the right thing, but the patch doesn't
seem to have been applied to the portfile used by the failing build.  (There were no
complaints about checksums in the build.)

I'm reluctant to uninstall mtr and reinstall it, as 0.86 functions and is very useful.
Anyone else have this issue?

Otherwise I've done most(?) things one should do before creating a ticket. Worth doing?