python, port select and group

Björn Raupach raupach at me.com
Thu Oct 13 16:54:33 CEST 2016

Hello Lawrence,

> On 13 Oct 2016, at 16:49, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
>> On Oct 13, 2016, at 7:30 AM, Björn Raupach <raupach at me.com> wrote:
>>
>> At first I assumed it sets the default symlink for the command in
>> /usr/bin
>
> MacPorts almost never touches /usr.
>
> The "port select" command creates symlinks under $prefix, according to
> rules specified by the relevant *_select port. For instance,
> python_select (used by "port select --set python") creates these files:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/files/base <https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/files/base>

thanks for the explanation about what select does

>> select —summary
>>
>> Name     Selected     Options
>> ====     ========     =======
>> awscli   py34-awscli  py34-awscli none
>> maven    maven3       maven3 none
>> mysql    mysql56      mysql56 none
>> pip      none         none
>> python   none         python26-apple python27-apple python34 none
>> python3  none         python34 none
>>
>> Why is python in more than one group?
>
> The python, python2, and python3 groups are distinct from one another
> and install different symlinks. This is an attempt to adhere to PEP 394
> as best we can.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python2_select/files/base
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python3_select/files/base
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394
>
>> If I call python from the command line it launches the python3.4 even
>> though port select shows that none is selected.
>>
>> port select —set python python34 yields an error: Selection ‘python34’ for ‘python’ failed: symlink: /opt/local/etc/select/python/current -> python34: file already exists.
>
> This problem was brought up previously on this list. You may have
> uninstalled python34 at some point while it was selected; the "port
> select" code doesn't handle this properly and leaves dangling symlinks.
> Can you run this and tell us what it returns? (If you see any messages
> about permissions, run it again with "sudo".)
>
> 	$ find -L /opt/local -type l

/opt/local/bin/pip
/opt/local/etc/select/pip/current
/opt/local/etc/select/python/current
/opt/local/etc/select/python3/current
/opt/local/var/macports/software/python27/mpextractM3fm6ZtI/opt/local/share/man/man1/python2.7.1

Yes. I have played around with MacPorts and probably messed it up myself. I doesn’t harm anything. I was just curious.

Thanks for helping out!

/Björn