Servers down?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun Oct 23 00:27:14 CEST 2016

> On Oct 22, 2016, at 5:11 PM, Fielding, Eric J (329A) <eric.j.fielding at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
> I am guessing that the lack of access to MacPorts yesterday (Friday)
> may have been related to the massive DDoS attack on the Dyn DNS
> servers.

This seems unlikely to me, as our unplanned downtime began (I think) on
Thursday (UTC).

> Because Dyn uses their content delivery network to provide DNS,
> different areas were affected to differing degrees from what I saw
> reported. The regular MacPorts rsync mostly worked for me on Friday
> and still works today. As they say, your mileage may vary.

The downtime affected systems that were still hosted at Mac OS Forge,
including svn.macports.org and trac.macports.org. rsync.macports.org is
now hosted at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg in
Germany and was therefore unaffected.

vq