osxfuse @3.5.0 build error

Davide Liessi davide.liessi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 11:08:28 PDT 2016

> The intention of the portfile is explained in the comments:
>
> # We will build user-space components for the specified arch, and
> # kernel modules for the kernel arch.
>
> It sounds like your changes will cause it to build the user-space components for the kernel arch as well, which was not the intention.

Yes, but without my changes (both for @3.5.0 and @2.8.0) it tries to
build also the kernel extension with the user-space architecture.
My change to @2.8.0 was the only way I could get a working osxfuse on
my machine.

> I'm not certain how to tell the build system what arch to build the kernel extension for. It would make sense that it would be able to figure it out on its own, but I don't know if it does.

Apparently it does not.

I copy the relevant part of main.log for the original Portfile without
my change at the end of the message.
You can find the same error on the 10.6 buildbot and a very similar
one on the 10.7 buildbot:
https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.6_x86_64_legacy-builder/builds/5740
https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.7_x86_64_legacy-builder/builds/10188

> osxfuse is not the only port that install a kernel extension. Maybe the handling of whether to build from source (the knowledge of which kernel archs our buildworkers use), and how to determine the kernel arch, should be moved into a portgroup, so as to avoid duplication of effort.

I do agree.

> Is your MacPorts prefix /opt/local?

Yes.

> Does /opt/local/lib/libosxfuse.2.dylib exist?

No.
I deactivated the previous version of osxfuse (@2.8.0 + my changes)
before attempting to build @3.5.0 (both without and with my changes).

> What's /Volumes/MacPorts/hopeful?

A location where I symlinked the build and log directories.

$ ls -l /opt/local/var/macports/{build,logs}
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  31  9 Giu 18:26
/opt/local/var/macports/build -> /Volumes/MacPorts/hopeful/build
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  30  9 Giu 18:26
/opt/local/var/macports/logs -> /Volumes/MacPorts/hopeful/logs

> What's /Users/davide/ports-substitution?

The local ports tree where I put the modified Portfile for osxfuse; it
contains also two unrelated ports.

I forgot to mention that I'm building with trace mode on.

Best wishes.
Davide