[MacRuby-devel] Stream of Consciousness Testing Log

Jordan Breeding jordan.breeding at mac.com
Tue Apr 1 18:33:58 PDT 2008

On Apr 01, 2008, at 19:19, Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:

> Ah. Worked after a "make clean; make; make install-nodoc"
>
> Note to self, do "make clean" after "svn update".
>
> Note to dev team: Makefile dependencies not all they could be.
> Investigate make dependency generator.
>
> pierce

Although I am not on the dev team I have looked at MacRuby a bit,
including the Makefiles and such.  I think that part of the problem is
that I don't know how much comes from ruby proper versus just this
project.  Also there are two ways to build a universal binary:

-arch <arch_one> -arch <arch_two>

This is the way that MacRuby does it right now but generating
dependency files for this won't work since the gcc backend is being
executed multiple times to make the .o files universal.

-arch <arch_one>
-arch <arch_two>
then use lipo

this way should be better at dependency tracking since you could have
the Makefile system track dependencies per arch, but this isn't being
used right now.

I hope I haven't missed something but I think that pretty much sums up
the current situation.