[MacRuby-devel] lazydoc Re: HotCocoa Part I

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. prabhaka at apple.com
Tue Dec 2 15:54:14 PST 2008

Hi Rich,

On Dec 2, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Rich Morin wrote:
> The critical question, then, is how to create an environment that
> allows
> (nay, encourages!) frameworks to be created, tested, polished,
> documented,
> indexed, shared, etc.  My intuition is that GitHub should be part of
> this,
> because it promotes free-flowing cooperation, merging, etc.
> However, I'm
> quite sure that GitHub isn't the entire solution.  So, ideas are
> welcome!

On the subject of documentation, I was intrigued by the new LazyDoc
utility from Tap, which auto-generates self-describing documentation
from the comments:

http://github.com/bahuvrihi/lazydoc/tree/lazydoc-0.1.0

I'm not sure how well this translates from a CLI to an API, but I
suspect we need something with a similarly low barrier to entry . I'm
not sure if RubyDoc is accessible enough to be widely adopted by
people writing HotCocoa plug-ins, and perhaps the added structure of
coming from Cocoa might enable simpler solutions.

-enp