[MacRuby-devel] HotCocoa Part I

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Wed Dec 3 00:46:41 PST 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 10:17 PM, Rich Morin wrote:

> Consequently, IMHO, the question of whether HC _should_ include
> zillions
> of random frameworks is rather off the mark.  Clearly, if HC becomes
> even
> slightly popular, community members _will_ be creating these
> frameworks.
>
> The critical question, then, is how to create an environment that
> allows
> (nay, encourages!) frameworks to be created, tested, polished,
> documented,
> indexed, shared, etc.  My intuition is that GitHub should be part of
> this,
> because it promotes free-flowing cooperation, merging, etc.
> However, I'm
> quite sure that GitHub isn't the entire solution.  So, ideas are
> welcome!

I think that's fairly self-evident, no?  If HC enables the quick and
easy creation of modules/frameworks/softwareICs/callemwhateveryoulike
to such an extent that we start seeing any sort of proliferation of
them then "packaging and general husbandry" becomes the first and most
immediate concern.   Maybe RubyGems provides the appropriate packaging
abstraction already, or perhaps that's too coarse-grained (I have no
idea how "GEM space" is partitioned or otherwise managed, but I'd
imagine there's a limit somewhere) and we need gem fragments
(splinters?) that HC supports for itself.  I dunno.

- Jordan