[MacRuby-devel] RubySpec and MacRuby

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Wed Dec 3 10:38:39 PST 2008

At 02:26 -0800 12/3/08, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
> I said I would start to run the RubySpec project and contribute
> missing 1.9/MacRuby specs to it. Since RubySpec uses the rspec
>syntax, I indeed need to adopt the same syntax for contributions.

I just had the following IRC (#rubinius) exchange with Brian Ford:

Rich_Morin:
  brixen: From your talk at RC08, I get the impression that the
  handling of 1.9 specs may be in flux (eg, folded into the main
  tree).  Can you give me a precis to report back to the MacRuby
  list?

brixen:
  Rich_Morin: http://rubyspec.org/wiki/rubyspec/Specs-19
  Rich_Morin: just need some more folks working on it

This page lays out the general approach that any rearrangement
will follow.  In brief, however, there's no need to wait...

My guess is that there will eventually be lots of folks adding
specs for 1.9, but that most of the projects are still focused
on getting full 1.8 compatibility and/or waiting on MRI 1.9 to
be released.  So, MacRuby could well be out in front.

Obviously, there will need to bs some specs dealing with MR's
handling of "keyed arguments":

  http://www.macruby.org/trac/wiki/HowDoesMacRubyWork#KeyedArguments

Also, I suspect that some specs rely on:

  *  the ancestry of core Ruby classes (eg, String)

  *  the methods available to core Ruby classes

What other areas will need MR-specific specs?

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com