[MacRuby-devel] HC debugging notions

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Wed Dec 3 11:19:51 PST 2008

As I understand it, HC mappings work roughly as follows:

  1)  A mapping file specifies some hashes and code.

  2)  HC uses this (via metaprogramming) to generate methods,
      callbacks, etc.

  3)  The application code uses the HC methods.

Even if the core HC code is perfect, a new mapping file is all
too likely to contain bugs.  So, I'm wondering what features HC
could/should/does contain to ease debugging.

For example, it can be very useful to examine (and even edit) a
textual representation of generated code, serialization formats,
etc.  Web programmers take advantage of this when they use View
Source and Firebug to see what CSS/HTML/JS/... the browser is
trying to interpret.  Could HC generate an intermediate format
(eg, MR code) that the developer could examine, tweak, etc?

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com