[MacRuby-devel] 0.2 available for testing

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Thu Jun 5 12:55:57 PDT 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Stephen Bannasch wrote:

>> Hi Stephen,
>>>
>>> Here's lines 51..52 from CircleView.rb
>>>
>>>   glyphRange.location.upto(glyphRange.location + glyphRange.length
>>> - 1) do |i|
>>>     lineFragmentRect =
>>> @layoutManager.lineFragmentRectForGlyphAtIndex i, effectiveRange:nil
>>>
>>> So @layoutManager appears to be nil.
>>>
>>> It doesn't appear I can add a breakpoint to CircleView.rb. Cmd-\ has
>>> no visible effect.
>>>
>>> Is there a debugger I can use with this MacRuby code to see if
>>> @layoutManager is getting set correctly and if it is what's
>>> happening to make it nil?
>
> Should I assume that the answer is "No there is not a Ruby debugger
> yet for MacRuby."

Yes there is no Ruby debugger, and even if there was one, you wouldn't
probably be able to discover the problem, because in this case it
looks like a GC bug (I suspect the @layoutManager ivar is prematurely
collected).

>> I used to have this error in the past, but it was fixed since.
>>
>> Which revision are you using? Are you using the latest revision from
>> trunk?
>
> I've got r249 of the testing branch checked out.
>
> $ svn info
> testing
> Repository Root: http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/ruby
> Repository UUID: 23306eb0-4c56-4727-a40e-e92c0eb68959
> Revision: 249
> Node Kind: directory
> Schedule: normal
> Last Changed Author: lsansonetti at apple.com
> Last Changed Rev: 249
> Last Changed Date: 2008-06-05 04:33:02 -0400 (Thu, 05 Jun 2008)
>
> Should I be using trunk instead?

I double-checked that testing has the same code than trunk (modulo a
change that I just committed, there were some debugging code in
CircleView).

I also checked with some people that CircleView works fine for them.

So you run 10.5.3. Do you run a PPC or an Intel machine?