[MacRuby-devel] New Build System, Faster Objective-C Dispatcher, Screencast

Pierce T. Wetter III pierce at twinforces.com
Tue Jun 17 16:08:30 PDT 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:

> Hi Pierce,
>
> On Jun 17, 2008, at 3:16 PM, Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:
>> On Jun 16, 2008, at 6:55 PM, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
>>
>>> -> http://ruby.macosforge.org/post/46/ :)
>>
>> Says:
>>
>> "These are very premature results, we expect to continue reducing the
>> time spent in the dispatcher, in the near future, and hopefully to
>> make it twice faster."
>>
>> I've seen some dtrace related things go by. Does this by any chance
>> mean that you're using Instruments against MacRuby?
>
> We don't have DTrace support in MacRuby yet, this is planned for 0.3.

Ah, that's what #74 means.

> But yes I used Instruments.app (especially the sample instrument) a
> lot on MacRuby, to boost the objc dispatcher performance, and I will
> continue for the rest of the code.

  On the objc side or both sides? I spent some amount of time trying
to figure out
how to feed ruby stack traces into the Instruments.app sample
instrument, but there's really no docs on how that stuff works. I
originally thought I could just slap together some dtrace scripts, and
ta-da! I'd have ruby sample runs. No such luck, as far as I could
tell, you can do it for Java, but not Ruby.

  On that note, would it be useful for me to make a Trac request for
such a feature?

  Pierce