[MacRuby-devel] scons (was Re: 0.2 available for testing)

Benjamin Stiglitz ben at tanjero.com
Wed Jun 18 11:16:34 PDT 2008

> Even though it is Python, I've heard good things about Scons <http://www.scons.org/
>>
> as a make/autoconf replacement....

[Late answer, sorry.]

My 2¢: Scons is OK. It requires a lot of set up for large projects,
but it can be worth it when you have a massive source tree with
thousands of buildable products. It has a learning curve similar to
git: “what the heck are these nodes?” “How do I just add this file?” &c.

That being said, it’s a lot closer to the Xcode project style build-
and-then-package workflow than most other open-source tools, and since
the build scripts are just Python scripts, it’s extremely flexible.

rake makes everyone happy, and is working great.

-Ben