[MacRuby-devel] RubyCocoa layer

Eloy Duran eloy.de.enige at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 01:27:29 PDT 2008

>> Also it is now in lib/osx/rubycocoa.rb and there's a osx/cocoa.rb.
>> The latter will probably be removed as to not have RubyCocoa
>> applications work by default.
>> This needs to be discussed further.
>
> As I said earlier I don't think osx/cocoa.rb is a good idea, I would
> prefer rubycocoa.rb instead.
>
> This is a temporarily compatible layer, designed to help people port
> their RubyCocoa app to MacRuby. The purpose is not to provide a layer
> on which people can rely on eternally. So having developers explicitly
> require rubycocoa.rb is better IMHO (and anyway, in the most cases,
> this will be an Xcode app that has to be modified to link against
> MacRuby.)
>
> Also, I don't think it's a good idea to duplicate the whole osx/*.rb
> environment then.

I don't completely agree with you on these points.
As for now I do not intend to completely port my apps to MacRuby,
also because I simply don't have the time. But I would like to be
able to develop further on MacRuby while still being able to use RC if
it's necessary.
So this is I guess the main difference in our points of view.

But to get back to the real issue at hand,
sure I understand it's better to remind developers that
using the layer is not the optimal way of using MacRuby.

I'll remove osx/cocoa.rb and add it to Rucola.

>> For now the main issues are the super_foo style methods and also some
>> method missing like behaviour
>> for objc methods that check if a method exists before dispatching.
>> The
>> latter is currently being worked around,
>> but that should definitely move out.
>
> I will address these.

Groovy!

> Regarding your commit:
>
> - could you install the layer as part of instruby.rb instead? And
> respect destdir.
>
> - I wonder if it's necessary to commit the RubyCocoa samples in
> sample-
> macruby as you did. Ultimately we might be able to run all RubyCocoa
> samples, but we probably don't want to have all of them in macruby-
> sample, right? Maybe some of the samples could be moved in the test
> directory, for testing purposes?
>
> I think people will be confused to see a RubyCocoa directory in /
> Developer/Examples/Ruby/MacRuby.

Hmm I understand, not 100% sure that moving them to test/ feels better,
but let's see :)

Eloy