[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby with UIKit

Shane Vitarana shanev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 12:50:21 PDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Laurent Sansonetti
<lsansonetti at apple.com> wrote:

>  No, there is no way right now to disable the GC in MacRuby and go back
>  to the previous memory scheme. Also, as you may know, Ruby was
>  designed to be garbage collected, so forcing developers to explicitly
>  retain/release objects isn't really an option. What could be done is
>  to resurrect the original Ruby GC and make sure every Objective-C
>  object is properly retained/released, inside the core. Which is in
>  fact what RubyCocoa does, but this brings several different problems
>  (as well as of course the problems of the original Ruby GC).
>
>  If you want to investigate, I would suggest you to start with
>  RubyCocoa instead, which theoretically should run, modulo perhaps a
>  few modifications. But don't forget that memory on the phone is a
>  critical variable.

Thanks for the suggestions Laurent.  Patching the Ruby GC to manage
Objective-C objects sounds messy, and I'd rather not deal with the
problems with Ruby GC.  Looks like I'll be sticking with Objective-C
until there is a viable Ruby implementation for the iPhone.

Shane

--
http://shanesbrain.net | http://crimsonjet.com | http://myfitbuddy.com