[MacRuby-devel] Re: Trying to get rubygems to run.

Pierce T. Wetter III pierce at twinforces.com
Tue May 6 10:06:09 PDT 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Eloy Duran wrote:

> Well, wouldn't that leave the best part out?
> As in, easily merge? Because it's till done by svn right? Or am I
> missing something?

  svk remembers where you've merged from in the svn repository so that
you can do such things more easily. In fact, that's easy to do in svn
as well once, it just doesn't remember so after that you have to know
which revision number you last merged from.

  Here's a visual guide:

    http://pickscrape.woobling.org/svk-visual-guide.pdf

  Not that I have a lot of experience with svk, its just that I know
that svk is built to more or less solve the particular problem you
have working from svn branches. It also lets you associate a .svn free
directory with an svn repository, so you can use it to do things like
check in your /etc/httpd folder.

  svn 1.5 will deal with merging in an improved manner as well but I
think the server has to be 1.5. But perhaps mirroring the 1.4 into a
1.5, then using 1.5 might work?

http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html

> Merging changes from (say) trunk to a branch no longer requires that
> you specify the revision range. Instead, each time you want to sync
> up with trunk, you can just do:
> $ cd BRANCH_WORKING_COPY $ svn merge URL_TO_TRUNK
> Subversion will figure out what changes from URL_TO_TRUNK have not
> yet been merged and pull in just those changes. When it's time to
> merge the branch back to trunk, do this:
> $ cd TRUNK_WORKING_COPY $ svn merge --reintegrate URL_TO_BRANCH

  Pierce