[MacRuby-devel] Compiler directives

Zach Holt lists at wzph.com
Sat May 24 14:08:19 PDT 2008

On May 24, 2008, at 1:46 PM, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:

> Currently this is not possible (same in RubyCocoa), but with the
> enclosed patch:

I'll try it out.

> Any idea regarding a shortcut? (Protocol.protocolWithName is too
> long). For example we could automatically convert symbols to Protocol
> objects.

Protocol[:ProtocolName]
Protocol.named( 'ProtocolName' )
:ProtocolName.to_protocol
'ProtocolName'.to_protocol

With the first one, you could alias :conformsToProtocol
to :conformsTo, and have it still read somewhat like the ObjC.

obj.conformsTo( Protocol[:ProtocolName] )

> Also, calling #inspect on a Protocol object currently crashes (because
> it's not NSObject-based, where inspect is defined).

Thanks for the tip.