[MacRuby-devel] can't build trunk

Markus Prinz markus.prinz at nuclearsquid.com
Wed Nov 12 01:10:12 PST 2008

On 12.11.2008, at 07:26, Matt Aimonetti wrote:

> yay! I finally got it to build. Turns out that I still had the old
> miniruby
> which wasn't built properly. After cleaning up everything, restored
> MacOsX
> ruby and re tried, everything works fine :)

By the way, was there any reason why you removed the OS X ruby?
Normally it's enough to move the path that contains your ruby before /
usr/bin, and every program (that hasn't a hardcoded path) should use
your version.

E.g. in your ~/.bashrc:
export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/bin:${PATH}"

and to make GUI programs like TextMate aware of your path, add the
following to ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd
">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
         <key>PATH</key>
         <string>/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/
local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin</string>
</dict>
</plist>

(probably requires at least a log out to take effect, probably even a
reboot).

I've done it that way for a long time, with a self-compiled Ruby in /
usr/local/bin. Any Ruby-Program that doesn't explicitly use /usr/bin/
ruby will use my Ruby.

regards, Markus