[MacRuby-devel] HotCocoa Part I

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Wed Nov 12 06:16:36 PST 2008

All,

As the main author of HotCocoa let me chime in on what I see its main
purpose is.

In a nutshell here is my 5 second primary definition:

"HotCocoa is an idiomatic Ruby API that simplifies the configuration
and wiring together of complex ObjC/Cocoa classes."

I realize this will not be all things to all people, and that some may
not see the much value in this. I do, and I think that HotCocoa should
NOT try and be all things to all people.  Let me even get more
specific.  I don't think that HotCocoa should strive to contain
simplifications for all frameworks in Cocoa.

If core audio needs to be simplified though a wonderful Ruby API then
it should be done with a wonderful Ruby API, but that is not HotCocoa,
its a core audio MacRuby library.  Something that uses HotCocoa could
also use that wonderfully simplified core audio library.  To try and
say every simplified use of ObjC frameworks is included in HotCocoa
creates a truly unwieldy beast.

In ObjC/Cocoa here are the common patterns I see that can be
simplified with HotCocoa:

* Instance configuration
* Delegation
* KVO
* Object wiring/containment/etc
* Data sources
* App building

I will follow up with an email that explains these in more detail and
provides examples.

Best,

Rich