[MacRuby-devel] testing MacRuby with RubySpec?

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Mon Oct 13 22:29:04 PDT 2008

Hi Rich,

On Oct 10, 2008, at 9:36 AM, Rich Morin wrote:

> I gather that RubySpec has a small number of 1.9-specific tests
> at present, but that work needs to be done to:
>
> -  make sure the infrastructure works under both 1.8 and 1.9
>
> -  identify tests which should not be expected to run on 1.9
>
> -  create tests which should not be expected to run on 1.8
>
> Is there a place I can go to find out the plans and status for
> testing MacRuby with RubySpec?

There is currently no plan to use RubySpec with MacRuby, though I
would be very interested to run MacRuby against a 1.9 RubySpec suite.

Last time I checked (a couple of months ago) no 1.9 suite was
available yet. I do not follow the RubySpec project to know if the
situation has changed since, but googling a little bit did not reveal
more updates.

Ideally both MacRuby and Ruby 1.9 (YARV) should be covered by the same
RubySpec suite, so if one is developed for Ruby 1.9 we should be able
to reuse it for MacRuby. We could then extend it for MacRuby-only
features.

If you have any news about this or willing to help the RubySpec guys
by working on the 1.9 suite, please let me know. I would be glad to
ship a 1.9 suite as part of MacRuby.

# Thanks for creating the wiki page on spec.ruby-doc.org :-)