[MacRuby-devel] 0.3 available for testing

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Mon Sep 8 16:40:38 PDT 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> Richard Kilmer wrote:
>> Charles had indicated in a recent post on his blog that folks were
>> working
>> on this type of "nice Ruby layer" stuff over Java libraries on JRuby
>> too.
>> I hope that HotCocoa does, indeed, work as a nice approach to
>> wrapping
>> the Cocoa classes because I think it will help Rubiests come to
>> MacRuby and be able to effectively leverage the massive set of
>> frameworks on OS X.
>
> It seems like there's a lot of parallels here to some of the APIs
> people
> are writing for JRuby. In the JRuby world the APIs range from JRuby's
> base level of Rubifying--which includes camelCase to under_score and
> Array/Hash-like behaviors for Java List/Map interfaces--through
> tool-driven APIs like MonkeyBars, all the way up to full-on builders
> like Rubeus and Cheri. And from what I understand of Cocoa the APIs
> are
> structured similarly.

Good point, I think we both have the same problem here :) Both Java
and Cocoa APIs are in general too verbose and do not integrate well in
the Ruby world, and this scares many rubyists.

> Is there a mailing list for RubyCocoa or should we discuss things
> here?
> I'd love to have some conversations about API design and pull in
> others
> doing the same thing for JRuby, to help share ideas about how to map
> events, how to structure any DSls involved, and maybe in general how
> come up with the best Ruby-friendly structure for these kinds of APIs.

RubyCocoa has 2 lists, -talk is mostly used for users, and -devel is
not really active anymore, since most of the work is now done on
MacRuby.

I personally do not see a problem if we discuss API design here. I
think it's a great idea. We can't really discuss everything, because
it would take too much time, but we can share our API designs, or at
least help each other.