[MacRuby-devel] 0.3 available for testing

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon Sep 8 17:24:43 PDT 2008

Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
> While shoes could indeed be re-implemented on HotCocoa (or even JRuby
> + your toolkit library of your choice), I wonder if it's really
> meaningful.
>
> This would be a nice project indeed, but at the end, what would be the
> advantage of using Shoes over HotCocoa? Shoes is very minimalist as
> you said, but HotCocoa is already very simple to use (and will be even
> simpler over time).

This is kinda where I tend to fall as well; each toolkit is going to
have its own quirks and its own features, which would ultimately be
masked by putting it behind shoes. I could reverse the question: would a
cross-platform shoes be valuable if it were likely that any "real-world"
apps eventually have to go outside shoes to run as well as possible?

I'd wager no. For a language, like Ruby, we can do a pretty good job of
hiding the execution details of the underlying platform. For a GUI
framework like Shoes...it's much more difficult.

- Charlie