[MacRuby-devel] experimental branch: status update

Jordan Breeding jordan.breeding at mac.com
Mon Apr 6 06:44:22 PDT 2009

On Apr 06, 2009, at 08:40, Eloy Duran wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Jordan Breeding wrote:
>
>> On Apr 06, 2009, at 08:09, Eloy Duran wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, on that bike! (Which is a direct translation of a Dutch saying
>>> meaning basically just "Aha!" ;-) )
>>>
>>> Yes that sounds like an excellent idea, will do.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eloy
>>
>> After taking a quick look at the spec tasks and the way they run it
>> might be easier to:
>>
>> 1) test for 64-bit enabled machines, if you are on a 32-bit machine
>> build normally an run specs normally
>>
>> 2) ok you are on a 64-bit machine, during build make miniruby and
>> miniruby32 (which can be made with lipo from miniruby, something
>> like `lipo -extract i386 -output miniruby 32 miniruby`)
>>
>> 3) have spec now point to spec:ci and spec:ci32 on 64-bit machines
>>
>> 4) have the individual tasks like spec:partially_green also have a
>> 32-bit version of themselves
>
> Creating a separate miniruby is of course an option, although I'm
> not sure it would be needed. Why did you come to this conclusion?

Because I don't know if gdb places nice with `arch -arch i386` but you
can definitely do `gdb ./miniruby32`

>> BTW, some of the tasks like spec:ci currently run mspec/bin/mspec
>> which has a run line of "#!/usr/bin/env ruby". To override this
>> shouldn't mspec/bin/mspec always get called as `./miniruby{,32} -I./
>> lib mspec/bin/mspec` for MacRuby testing? Just curious.
>
> Ah yes, this is because ./mspec/bin/mspec is a frontend script to
> the various runners, such as ./mspec/bin/mspec-ci and ./mspec/bin/
> mspec-run.
> Based on the --target given to mspec the runners will be ran with
> the correct bin.
>
> In our case the target, ./miniruby, is set by the ./spec/frozen/
> macruby.mspec script. So to run the same set of selected specs on a
> different ruby you just use the correct mspec config script, for
> instance ./spec/frozen/ruby.1.9.mspec or give the --target option as
> r19 to ./mspec/bin/mspec
>
> I hope this was a bit clear?
>
> Eloy

Yeah, that makes it clearer, so there would need to be a way to make
sure that for regular tasks like spec:ci the runner still just gets
set to ./miniruby, but for new tasks like spec:ci32 it should get set
to either `./miniruby32` or `arch -arch i386 ./miniruby`.