[MacRuby-devel] Information about the new YAML module

Patrick Thomson pthomson at apple.com
Mon Aug 3 10:51:49 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I've just pushed my work on a new YAML module to the experimental branch
(revision 2184). Rather than being backed by the old syck code that
1.8/1.9 use, this is backed by the libYAML library (BSD licensed). As of
right now it appears to be about 4x slower than 1.9's YAML module, but
there's a lot of room for optimizing my code.

This new YAML module aims to be wholly compatible with the old API
inside yaml.rb. *Please *test this module out, and let me know if you
find any inconsistencies or false results. As of right now it passes the
RubySpecs for YAML::dump() and YAML::load().

(Oh, and sorry for spamming the macruby-changes list; git-svn applied
something like 40 commits at one time. Oops!)

-- Patrick Thomson