[MacRuby-devel] zlib status

Patrick Thomson pthomson at apple.com
Tue Aug 18 14:52:04 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm working on porting ext/zlib to MacRuby right now. I took a look at
zliby - though it's certainly nice to have a zlib implementation in pure
Ruby, zliby seems to be kind of dead in the water (according to its
RubyForge page, it hasn't been updated in almost a year).
Additionally, zliby is orders of magnitude slower than ext/zlib
(decompressing a 2MB gzipped MP3 with ext/zlib took 0.064 seconds with
ext/zlib and 73.909 seconds (yes, over a minute) with zliby).
Porting the library will take a little while, as for performance reasons
zlib needs to use ByteStrings. So be patient, and it'll be here before
you know it. :-)

-- Patrick