[MacRuby-devel] RuntimeError: framework at path `Cocoa' cannot be loaded in macirb?

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Sat Aug 29 20:11:46 PDT 2009

Hi Alistair,

So, looking at the error you pasted earlier, it seems that it's raised
in the following objc.m logic:

     if (![bundle loadAndReturnError:&error]) {
	rb_raise(rb_eRuntimeError,
		 "framework at path `%s' cannot be loaded: %s",
		 cstr,
		 [[error description] UTF8String]);
     }

In other words, -[NSBundle loadAndReturnError:] doesn't seem to work.
This looks like a problem in Foundation.

Could you try the following snippets?

$ macruby -e "p NSBundle.bundleWithPath('/System/Library/Frameworks/
Cocoa.framework').loadAndReturnError(nil)"
$ macruby -e "p NSBundle.bundleWithPath('/System/Library/Frameworks/
Cocoa.framework').load"

In my environment both print "1".

Laurent