[MacRuby-devel] Would a macruby-newbie List Be Worthwhile?

s.ross cwdinfo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 11:21:15 PST 2009

There are a number of questions I know I have coming from a Ruby/Rails and not a Cocoa background. These questions can be difficult to answer in the context of Objective-C (and heck, Ruby makes a lot of the Objective-C syntactic vinegar just go away). They are also not specifically about MacRuby, but rather about how it interacts with the framework.

Because MacRuby can open up Cocoa to developers who really didn't want to mess around with [[obj alloc] init] and all that stuff. Many of you on this list did go through that learning experience but have already answered these same questions before in a different context but shouldn't be imposed upon to answer them again. Would a newbie list be worth creating? I find myself coming up with seemingly stupid questions that I simply don't want to trouble the list with but that take hours to dig out of the documentation. That would be the proposed purpose. Post some code, expected results, and what's actually happening.

Maybe an example: I want a single pane Core Data application but I forgot to select the template that creates an appDelegate. How do I get a managedObject context and how do I add some seed data to that collection once it's bound to an NSTableView. See? Complicated n00b question that requires IB steps and Ruby steps. Takes quite a bit of trekking around in the documentation to figure out. But someone who's walked the same path before could answer it right away.

Comments?