[MacRuby-devel] need review for macrubyc man-page

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. prabhaka at apple.com
Thu Dec 17 22:30:51 PST 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Matt Aimonetti wrote:
> For those who don't have the latest repo pulled, here is the output of Laurent's command:

Thanks, Matt!

Laurent, your English is very good (or at least on part with other man page writers :-).

I did have a couple minor suggestions:

* technically, isn't rubyc a front-end to the entire compile-and-link process?

It might be nice to make that clearer.  Not sure how. Perhaps change the second sentence to:

> It statically compiles Ruby source code into native machine code (object files), and can then link it (dynamically or statically) into executables or dynamic libraries

A bit wordy, but you get the idea.

* alphabetize the options, since otherwise the ordering appears random, which makes it harder to scan

* The first paragraph under "EXAMPLES" doesn't seem to fit

The rbo magic really seems to be about best practice, not an example of how to use the command itself.

I'd suggest you start this section with the brain-dead simple a.out example.    Perhaps put the current first paragraph under a "USAGE" section, where you can expand upon ways this would be used in practice.  If you do, you should flesh out the example to explain how to compile and package the final binary.

* "its machine code will be ran " -> will be _run_

* "will ran upon #require calls" -> will _be run_

Great stuff!

-- Ernie P.